Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Seeing a Wild Tiger

yellow=interesting vocab, pink=sentence starters, speech=green and 


Seeing a Wild Tiger


We were on a tour in North India in the state of Rajasthan. It was in the summer holidays and my Mum, my Dad and I were currently in a hotel in Ranthambore. The reason we came to Ranthambore was because we wanted to see a wild tiger in one of the safaris. I’ve heard that the safaris are very very fun and I was looking forward to the safari that we were about to do the next day.  My family all love tigers and the majestic animal is India’s national animal. Therefore, this tiger sighting was extra special. I was also quite nervous, this could be scary.


The next day, the old-fashioned jeep was ready in the morning. Briskly, I jumped in the front seat. My mother said that I have to wear warm clothes because of the chilly morning air. The guide said that the driver and he will try to find a tiger. Off we went into what seemed an unstable jeep. It rapidly joggled from left to right and it made me feel sick. The jungle made constant reassuring noises as the jeep ran its path. Despite the quick sudden movements of the jeep, I managed to see quite a lot. The couple behind us spotted a fast-flowing river. The guide said it leads to a water hole that then quieted down into an emerald coloured pool. Soon later we saw it. It was definitely a beautiful sight.


 As we passed the water young spirited deer, my dad stopped to take some photos. Almost immediately, the guide began to explain about the Spotted Deer. He said that they stick together as a group and they are very common in Ranthambore. I watched the childish fawns as they jumped and ran around the jungle floor. They looked happy, and I wondered what it would be like to be a deer, happily running about, not caring about anything. I re-considered my opinion though because I was pretty sure those tigers are out to eat them. As I continued to watch the comical, frisky creatures they all leapt away in fright. Suddenly, we heard a loud powerful RRROOOAAAARRRR!! The guide managed to call another jeep with a walkie-talkie and our jeep took off with full speed ahead. While my dad held down his hat on his head he spluttered “We are going to see a tiger!”


As the jeep sped on I felt my stomach come right up to my throat. The tractor-like car abruptly came to a halt. Miniature birds fly off into the distance. I sense that the Tiger is nearby. Suddenly a majestic creature advanced from a vast section of long grass. Its stripes were camouflaged in the golden-coloured meadow, especially because of the animal’s orange and black complexion. Steadily, the female tiger cautiously emerged from it’s hidden hideout. All the other people in the jeeps surrounding us clicked photos on their mammoth-sized, professionalised cameras. My dad and mum also press the camera buttons, clicking it rapidly ( it seemed like 1 million times a second!!). I just stare. Here I was looking right at India’s national animal. What a sight!!


I realized that the Tiger was scanning its fans for an opening. I thought it was afraid. It then proceeded back into the yellow grass, even though it wanted to come out. We stayed there for about 5 more minutes despite the known information that the tiger wasn’t coming out. My dad requested the driver to go back to the hotel. On the way back, my mum explained what the tiger’s name was, “Did you notice how the tiger’s forehead had an arrow, yes? Well, because of this mark her name is Arrowhead.” She said. After I we reach my dad says, “did you like it Anika?” he asked. “ Like it? No…… I loved it!!” I replied.


This trip was absolutely one of my favourites. The moment when I actually saw the Tiger will be cherished for a long, long time. I am definitely coming here next summer holidays!! :)


This is my writing that we have been working on since we came out of lockdown. I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment